Banner
Home GenWiki Zeitschrift Regional Datenbanken DigiBib DES Software Mailinglisten Forum Vereine Links Hilfen/FAQs
GEDBAS FOKO GOV OFBs Adressbücher Familienanzeigen Grabsteine Totenzettel Verlustlisten 1. WK Literatur Metasuche

Home > Databases > Local heritage books > Kronstadt

Spacer Spacer
:: Coat of arms


 
:: Functions
Pfeil Complete List of Surnames
Pfeil Places of Birth of Foreigners
Pfeil Places of Death of Emigrants
Pfeil External marriage places
Pfeil External places of life
 
:: Statistics
7.864 individuals
2.561 families
 
:: Languages
Deutsch Deutsch
Dansk Dansk
Español Español
Francais Francais
Magyar Magyar
Lietuviškai Lietuviškai
Nederlands Nederlands
Polski Polski
Româneşte Româneşte
Русский Русский
Svenska Svenska
Slovenčina Slovenčina
Norsk Norsk
Português Português
Česky Česky
Українська Українська

Local family database Kronstadt und Fogarasch (Juden)

Kronstadt / Brasov in Transylvania, Romania.

The first Jews settled in Kronstadt in the early 19th century. The first Jew in Kronstadt was Isac Kosiel with his wife Bihja, son  Ithac and daughter Sorl. Abraham, the watch dealer, was the fifth. The Jews took part in the trade between Hungary, Wallachia and Turkey. In 1826, 11 Jewish families (46 people) were given permission to settle permanently in Kronstadt, a right that was usually given only to the German Transylvania Saxons. This group was led by Aron Löbl. He is the author of a chronicle of the Kronstadt Jews from 1807-1830. In 1828, they received the right to organize their own community. The first synagogue was built in 1862. In 1870, the Jewish community began a program for teaching their members in Hebrew and to this end they invited the Hebrew poet, Solomon Ehrenkranz, to serve as a teacher. In 1865, the municipality had 103 members and 1198 in 1900. The synagogue in Poarta Schei Str. 29 was built in 1899 and opened on 20 August 1901. The rabbis were Lajos Papp (1893-1918) and Erno German (1927-1950). A secular Jewish school was founded in 1860. A separate Orthodox community arose in 1877. Rabbis were Ben-Zion Wesel (1889-1900), Benjamin Fuchs (1901-1905), Zev Zvi Klein (1905-1911), Joel Dohány (1912-1914) and David Sperber (1925 -1950). The school served both communities. Around the year 1940, there were about 6,000 Jews in Brasov. At the beginning of the 21st century only a few hundred Jews live in Brasov, mostly elderly; the rest have emigrated to Israel or to the West.
The numerical development of the Jewish population in Kronstadt
1813: 6; 1826: 46; 1850: 67; 1857: 39; 1866: 103; 1900: 1.250; 1930: 2.519; 1940: 2.760.

It should be noted that no umlauts or diacritical marks are used. The many different spellings of names have caused much uncertainty, so that some people occur twice and may have to be merged . The work on this data continues. Additions and corrections will gladly be accepted by the AKdFF: info@akdff.de

Sources:

Jewish community of Kronstadt:
http://search.ancestry.de/search/db.aspx?dbid=5412 (county: Brasov, city: Brasov, religion: israelian): Births: 1851-1885, some data until 1926, marriages: 1852-1921, i.e. 1945, deaths: 1851-1932.
civil records from Kronstadt: to date, only the marriages and deaths from 1895-1906 were extracted.

Jewish Virtual Library
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0004_0_03453.html

The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe, Artikel Brasov
http://www.yivoencyclopedia.org/article.aspx/Brasov

Ladislaus Gyémánt: Ummigration und Integration. Die jüdische Gesellschaft in Siebenbürgen im Zeitalter der Emanzipation (1790-1867) in: Migration nach Ost- und Südosteuropa vom 18. bis zum Beginn des 19. Jahrhunderts: Ursachen, Formen, Verlauf, Ergebnis. Hrsg. Mathias Beer und Dittmar Dahlmann. Stuttgart 1999. https://books.google.de/books?isbn=379952504

Fogarasch (German), Fagaras (Romanian), Fogaras (Hungarian)

The city of Fogarasch in county Brasov (Romanian: Brasov) located in Transylvania, Romania.

In the 17th century Jews occasionally visited the fortress of Fagaras, the capital of the county, in order to present petitions to the Prince of Transylvania. Of particular interest is the settlement of Jews in the village of Porumbak, 20 km away, known today under the Romanian name, Porumbacul de Sus. From the judicial aspect, the village belonged to the owners of the city of Fogarasch. In 1697 two Sephardic Jews, Avigdor b. Abraham and Naphtali b. Abraham (according to another source Iacob Fincz, Abraham Veider, Abraham Naphtali, and Solomon) took over the first glass producing factory in Transylvania. They signed the lease using Hebrew letters.
Only since the beginning of the 19th century was the establishment of Jews allowed in Fogarasch. The Jewish community in Fogarasch was founded in 1820, and a cemetery was built in 1827. The synagogue was built in 1829, and a primary school in 1840, with 2 teachers. The official census of 1836 listed 27 Jewish householders, of which 8 owned their homes; among them 12 liquor producers, 9 dealers, 2 peddlers, a craftsman, a religious functionary, a teacher and an unemployed person. The Transylvanian administration in response to the pressure from the community ordered that the synagogue be closed in 1836; it was demolished after a three-day period. The first rabbis of the community were Löbl Silberman until 1864 and Josef Cohne from 1864. Aron Dornzweig, one of the teachers in Fagaras, was born in Lemberg, and was one of the first poets living in Transylvania to write in Hebrew (one of his three books of poetry was published in 1873 in Hermannstadt / Sibiu).
The number of Jews increased from 183 persons in 1838 to 276 in 1869-1870; to 485 in 1891; and to 514 in 1910. The number of Jews fell after the First World War from 457 in 1920 (representing 6.7% of the total population) to 390 in 1930 and 267 in the year 1941.
It should be noted that no umlauts or diacritical marks were recorded. The many different spellings of names have caused much uncertainty, so that some people occur twice and may have to be merged. The work on the data continues. Additions and corrections will gladly be accepted from AKdFF: info@akdff.de

Sources:

Jewish community of Fogarasch
http://search.ancestry.de/search/db.aspx?dbid=5412 (county: Brasov, city: Fagaras, religion: israelian)
Births: 1820-1885, marriages: 1833-1885, deaths: 1843-1885
at the end of the period 1820-1881, can be found the family register (from page 92);
as well as extractions from the civil registers of Fogarasch 1895-1908

Jewish Virtual Library
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0006_0_06235.html

The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe, on Fagaras
http://www.yivoencyclopedia.org/article.aspx/Fagaras

Ladislaus Gyémánt: Ummigration und Integration. Die jüdische Gesellschaft in Siebenbürgen im Zeitalter der Emanzipation (1790-1867) in: Migration nach Ost- und Südosteuropa vom 18. bis zum Beginn des 19. Jahrhunderts: Ursachen, Formen, Verlauf, Ergebnis. Hrsg. Mathias Beer und Dittmar Dahlmann. Stuttgart 1999. https://books.google.de/books?isbn=3799525041




:: More links
Pfeil Rumänien
Pfeil Siebenbürgen
Pfeil County Kronstadt
Pfeil Kronstadt in the Genealogical Place Register GOV
Pfeil Official Homepage
Pfeil Kronstadt in Wikipedia
Pfeil Geographical Location, City map Kronstadt
:: Contact
For further information concerning these data and, if you have additions, corrections or questions, please contact:
AKdFF


Arbeitskreis donauschwäbischer Familienforscher e.V. (AKdFF)